We had an intrepid impulse and went NYC.


    It was our anniversary. 
My beautiful and dangerous wife and I were married 22 years ago on Friday 11/07. On Saturday we went to the NYC because that's how we roll.


We really didn't have a plan, we talked about going to One World Trade and Battery Park and I have been mentioning for years that I would like to go to the Intrepid Museum. The day before we went, a friend of hers mentioned the High Line walk through Chelsea. So we geographically decided to hit the Intrepid and then walk the High Line. That's what we did.    





My take away from the Intrepid was claustrophobia was not a concern in the middle of last century. Everything from a replica of the Mercury space capsule, to a Soyuz TMA-6 spacecraft, to a WWII-era bomber gun turret, were things that I couldn't fit in even when I was lean and mean. 



The Russian Soyuz was a tiny little thing that held three cosmonauts in a compartment the size of the trunk of my car.


We ventured on to the flight deck and we were greeted by many aircraft. The size of the flight deck of an aircraft carrier is hard to imagine if (like me) you've only seen them in movies. They are massive. 

I had to include this picture of the Coast Guard Sikorsky
HH-52A Sea Guardian, I just read an incredible book ("Deadliest Sea") about the rescues that this aircraft is capable of .


Did you ever stare an 
AV-8C Harrier jet in the nose? Yea, me neither. 
This baby can take off and land vertically, which makes it ideal for NYC parking.


The Space Shuttle - I was amazed at the size of this thing. We entered the pavilion, which was on the flight deck of the Intrepid and I wondered where the shuttle was, I realized I wasn't seeing ceiling tile above me but thermal tile from the wing. I was under it.

   
It was a very interesting and fun exhibit.



My favorite part of the Intrepid was the superstructure. Going through that was awesome.

Again, claustrophobia was not a concern. Things were tight. 


Flight bridge - lots of leg room.


Captains office, I'm not sure where he googled or checked Facebook, he must of had a tablet or something. 
Ahh, the navigation system. a little before GPS. I hit one of the buttons, but it didn't say "recalculating."

___________________________________________________________

HIGH LINE
The High line uses the disused southern portion of the West Side Line running to the Lower West Side of Manhattan. It runs from Gansevoort Street – three blocks below 14th Street – in the Meatpacking District, through Chelsea, to the northern edge of the West Side Yard on 34th Street near the Javits Convention Center.
It was an excellent use of existing structure


  
My Favorite.




The architecture was beautiful.







I LOVE NYC.

Comments

Popular Posts