LONDON VISIT

London1
London was a beautiful city that I would certainly visit again. The people were just fantastic. They were friendly, funny and accommodating.  
London2
This was our hotel foyer. The Grosvenor. Great place, located walking distance from Buckingham palace. We were told that sometimes the Queen stops by and if she’s into her cups she will bang out some Jerry Lee Lewis on the ivories. They say her “Great Balls Of Fire” is spot on.
London3
The hotel was right around the corner of Victoria Station. I love these London taxis. I wanted to take one home. They remind me of the French deux chevaux that my French friends were trying to talk me into buying and ship home. But that’s a different story.
London4
Buckingham Palace: I have a similar coat of arm on my gate. Well, not so much my gate as my mailbox, and not really a coat of arms but sticky letters that spell ‘Rose’.
London6
I wanted to venture inside and get a closer look but this guy said that it wasn’t a good idea.
London7
These Palace guards were a trip. During my brief military career I remember standing at attention. I remember that IT IS NOT FUN. These guys do it for a living.
London8
It is probably my age speaking but some of these guys looked young. I swear this is the same kid who bagged my groceries at the market last week. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure he could run me through with that bayonet without much problem. .just sayin.   
London9
Here is Buckingham Palace. It kind of looks like a library out front but I’m sure it’s cozy inside. 
London10
The Changing of the guard: Around 11 o'clock the crowds thicken and the fanfare starts. At my job we call this ‘shift change’ and instead of carrying Royal Gurkha rifles the workers march in with large Dunkin Donuts cups. 
London11
At one point my view of the ceremony was obscured by the crowds. When this happens I turn my camera on the spectators. 
London12
I guess it’s the voyeur in me.
London13
The ceremony continued.  This guy was bringing over the keys to the mini-bar to the incoming guards.
London14
The local press was there, checking their blackberries between takes.
London15
In London you have to do a double-decker (hop on, hop off) bus tour. This guys comedy needed a bit of a dust-off. Also, you see the London skies have appeared.
 London17
Big Ben, River Thames.
London18
London is a very modern as well as a historical city. I loved the architecture. Also ‘Mind Your Head’ is sound advice. 
London19
The London Eye is the tallest Ferris wheel in Europe (443 ft.) Which incidentally was the same length as the line waiting to get on.  
London20
We took a river tour on the Thames which was a great way to see the skyline and the many bridges. . .and bridge workers.
London21
This was the Millennium footbridge also known as the Wobbly bridge because when it opened it had an ‘uncomfortable’ wobble to it caused by the stride of the pedestrians. They closed it for two years and fixed the problem but the moniker stuck.
London28
HMS Belfast. Permanently docked in the Thames. The guns are pointed towards Parliament as an incentive for quick legislation. Sadly, not a bad idea for the U.S. . . Is there a spot open on the Potomac?
London22
London has a great skyline.
London23
Art shot
London24
I got some bad mushrooms in a salad. . .saw this. …it soon passed.
London25
I love these taxies.
London26
Again, ‘Mind Your Head’. . . . great advice for us all.
London27 
British humor. You have to love it.
London30
and . . another taxi. . .last one.
London31
There was great art.
London32
The sushi was fantastic. . .If I ever have a jazz band I will call it “London Sushi.”
 London33
I think because of the damp climate the patio plants prosper.
London34
This is the Tower of London built by William the Conqueror in 1078. To the right across the Thames river is London City Hall. I thought it was an interesting juxtaposition between new and old.
I am currently building a catapult  . .Just let the neighbors throw their leaves in my yard this year.
London35
Because I loved the city hall building so much I had to have some Photoshop fun..
London36
If your ever in London on a Saturday you should go to the Portobello Road market. Outstanding. Thankfully, our waitress told us about it Friday night and we took the bus there Saturday morning.
London37
They had street bands
London38
Some were quite good.
London39
Antiques
London40
This guy reminded me of the creepy preacher dude in ‘Poltergeist II’ but he was a good drummer.
London41
The dog was chilling.
London42
Singing
London43
In my mind there was a ‘Pink Floyd The Wall’ thing going on here.
London44
I guess there was some band called ‘The Beatles’ that gained some notoriety. I’ll have to Google that.
London45
There were hats for all occasions .
 London47
And food of all kinds. This guy was making paella. I remember when I lived in France there were big arguments about the correct way to make paella.
London48
We did not try any (we had just had breakfast) but it smelled wonderful.
London49
jalapeño
London50
Finally – before we left we felt like looking at clothes we couldn’t afford so we went to Harrods of London. Incredible. Expensive. Opulent.

Comments

Sreekanth said…
Wow, great pictures and looks like you and Jeanine had a great time! One of these days, you got to explain to me the tricks of taking pictures like you do - Chitra takes great pictures, but she is not going to explain how :)

Popular Posts