LINCOLN MEMORIAL

 

 

 Small Lincoln Pan

The Lincoln Memorial was a great experience. Lincoln holding court in a Greek Doric columned temple was humbling to approach. Of course, being such a famous memorial means it’s been photographed at every angle so as I entered I said to myself ‘Unique perspective.’ That’s easy to say. . .a little tougher to do. As you enter the memorial there is a 28 foot man seated in a captains chair dead center that draws your camera lens like a compass needle. So I took some shots to get it out my system. Then I strolled around to find what would surprise a first time visitor such as myself. I assumed that it wasn’t as spacious inside. After all, it looks pretty flat on the five dollar bill. I got off to the side and took some photos. The above photo is actually three shots that are stitched together for a panoramic side view. It’s space, lots of space.

Small Lincoln head                         Column

The interior columns were interesting as was the glass tiled ceiling that loomed high above the chamber. What intrigued me the most (aside from the seated 28 foot President) were the murals running along the two side walls. Painted by Jules Guerin they are a colorful allegoric representation of Lincoln’s time.

left picture 2                                                      left picture 

I made a photo of the two center subjects that were the Angel of Truth breaking the bonds of slavery and the Angel of Truth rejoining the North and the South.

Leaving the memorial was a stunning view of the Washington Mall. In retrospect I wished I thought of another panoramic shot but my lens* is pretty good with wide angles so I’ll settle for what I got.

                                              steps

*Lens = AF-S NIKKOR 18-200mm 1:35-5.6

Comments

Popular Posts