Things I know about Woodstock New York.

Oriole9

We went into Woodstock New York today to walk around. It was overcast and grey – bad color to make pictures. I grew up in Woodstock. Now I feel like a tourist when I walk around, and I guess truth be told I am one.  I live about 1/2 hour drive from this town but I rarely walk around here anymore, maybe once a year, maybe less.  Today, I stood on the sidewalk and gazed around as my wife browsed through the shops of pewter, leather and tie-dye. I marveled at the new shops that replaced the other new shops I noticed last time. I saw this new cafe that opened in the center of town. I don’t know anything about their food, I didn’t even look at the menu. It looked trendy and nice and if it was dinnertime you could talk me into trying it.  From where I was standing I can tell you a few things I do know about this place:

1. It’s name is Oriole 9 which is kind of a hip sounding name. Oriole 9 was the phone extension for Woodstock back in the sixties. When I was a pup my phone number was Oriole 9 – 6990. Which was shortened to OR9 – 6990 and later the phonetic prefix (OR9) was dropped altogether to 679. 

2. This building was The News Shop. Which was, as it’s name implies a place to get newspapers, cups of coffee and balsawood airplane models that were powered by rubber bands.  I used to come here as a kid with my father to pick up the Sunday paper and maybe one of those plane models if I was good.

3. I fear I am getting old.

___________________________________

But I was cheered by a timeless classic.  Somewhere a mother is asking her child  “Your sneakers are where??”

Sneakers

After Posting this I went to the Oriole 9 website and discovered a couple of things:

  1. I went to school with the owner. I remember her and her family well. I wish them the best.
  2. They don’t serve dinner, just lunch and breakfast. 

Comments

Popular Posts